Today WhatsApp has become one of the most popular social media apps with millions of downloads. It has also introduced an array of features to help people connect with their friends and loved ones.
If you are concerned about the security of your WhatsApp account then you should follow these simple tips and tricks. We have explained everything you need to know to secure your WhatsApp. So let’s get started.
How to Secure Your WhatsApp Account?
There are multiple things you can do to secure your WhatsApp account.
Enable Two-step verification
Opening WhatsApp account on other another device is possible if someone have your phone number for a while. They just have to enter your number on their phone and get access to the OTP from your phone number to start using your WhatsApp on their device.
That’s why WhatsApp has added Two-step verification to help you take control of your account. No one can open your WhatsApp account on your device without the PIN you set while setting up Two-step verification.
When you turn on Two-step verification, you will have to enter the PIN when you register your WhatsApp account on a new device. Turning this on will prevent others to register on WhatsApp without you knowing.
To enable Two-step verification, follow these steps.
- Open WhatsApp, go to Settings > Account > Two-step verification. You will see the following.
- Click on enable button. Now here you will have to enter 6 digit PIN. This PIN will be asked whenever you try to register your WhatsApp on other device. Click on next and re-enter the PIN again and confirm your PIN.
- You also get an option to set up an email address in case you forget your PIN. Although you can skip this, we recommend you to add your email address to safeguard your account.
- Confirm your email address, you will see the message, verification is enables like this.
Enable Fingerprint lock or Face ID
This is self-explanatory and chances are many of you are even using it already. But for those who didn’t know this feature existed, you can now set it up a fingerprint lock or Face ID for WhatsApp if your device supports it.
Also the In-built lock feature of WhatsApp is
To enable Fingerprint lock or Face ID:
- Open your WhatsApp, go to Settings > Account > Privacy. Scroll down below until you see the Fingerprint lock option, open it.
- Enable Unlock with fingerprint option and register your fingerprint to set the lock on WhatsApp. You can also use Face ID if your smartphone supports it.
After setting up the lock, you can also set up After how much time WhatsApp should lock automatically. There are 3 options available- Immediately, After 1 Minute and After 30 minutes. You can choose accordingly.
You can also hide messages that you receive in the notifications, this is set by default.
Some tips for securing your WhatsApp account?
Apart from setting up Two-step verification and lock to WhatsApp, there are some other things that you will want to know.
- Never ever share your Two-step verification PIN. This PIN will be used to verify to open your WhatsApp account on other devices.
- Don’t share personal information with strange people on WhatsApp. Don’t allow strangers to add you to their group.
- Remember, anyone who has access to your phone can check WhatsApp. Protect your WhatsApp with an in-built lock feature to avoid letting people check your WhatsApp.
Security is a concern for many people. We don’t want our WhatsApp conversation to be seen by other people. In fact, we don’t even want people to know who we chat on WhatsApp with. For this purpose, we have tried to help you secure your WhatsApp account in as less time as possible. If you follow the above things, you will have nothing to fear. Make sure to check out other articles as well for more WhatsApp related tips and tricks and how-to guides.